Unity Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unity Project

A educational project with Unity, more info to follow.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Leadership!

Go down 
+2
mythstrott
RoiDanielsen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm proposing that we will have a transparent board of managers, with one Project Manager. This way, we have a manager on each team. A Programming Manager, Modelling Manager and so forth. The Project Manager will then hand out assignments, in a well written document, to the other managers. The managers will then assign their people with a task. This way, the manager can assign tasks fitting to the peoples skill level.

This way we also create a more Faster, Better and more Informative Workflow, as well as making the whole production pipeline easier.

All basic ideas and stuff related to the games development will still be discussed in a Suggestions forum. The Project Manager will then open up polls too see wether everyone wants to advance with some of the ideas posted in the Suggestions forum.

A system like this would increase the productivity and allow us to make games fast.

Also, this allows the Project Manager to keep a record of our progress. The Project Manager will release a weekly update with a well written thread, explaining our current status and plans etc. This way also ensures that several people are not working on the same thing.

If you like or dislike this system, please state your opinion here!

We need to figure out how to run this boat, so we dont get stuck in a mess of files, ideas and stuff.

Last edited by RoiDanielsen on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I think you (Roi) would be good for our temporary leader. But I might as well give people some choice, right?

If I were to be elected leader, I would assume this position with nothing more than the intention of getting this group organized. To do this, I would make a website with PHP that allows me to organize member information. I would gather it with PHP forms/registrations (not big forms, just asking for things like your username, abilities, and Skype). The results of these forms would be published on appropriate pages.

This website would also use PHP to allow you to upload files you've created. These would add up to be our Group's asset library, accessible only to members who have logged in successfully. Making an account would be easy, but membership approval would require you to spend time in the forums and make contributions (as we all are already doing).

I would throw some topic-specific chats on the website, next to appropriate polls. These polls would allow us to vote on such topics as our group name, project of choice, group leader (I would step down after we get organized), etc.
Back to top Go down
palledk

palledk

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I think that website would be a great idea, but i think we need to close the stream of new people since we are already a lot here. If we need anything we look for them or post a recruitment post on unitys forum.
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

palledk wrote:
I think that website would be a great idea, but i think we need to close the stream of new people since we are already a lot here. If we need anything we look for them or post a recruitment post on unitys forum.

Yes, when I mentioned creating an account on the website, we wouldn't approve just anybody that made one to be a member of the team. It would just be a way for people to join that we already needed and invited. We do have plenty of people right now already. Another thing we haven't talked about at all yet was audio. Do we have anybody here that is good at making sound effects or music?

Decent royalty-free sound effects are easy'ish to find, but music isn't always so easy.
Back to top Go down
palledk

palledk

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Think qwerty said he could make music, i'll see if i can find the post

Edit: https://unityproject.forumotion.com/t12-getting-into-groups
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:41 pm

palledk wrote:
Think qwerty said he could make music, i'll see if i can find the post

Edit: https://unityproject.forumotion.com/t12-getting-into-groups

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Mythstrott, what if i lead and you will manage the websites? As Palle said, there is really no need for you to be the leader to do the website Razz

Palle knows me IRL, and he probably also knows that I like to take the lead in groups also xD

But what about it? Razz
Back to top Go down
palledk

palledk

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:47 pm

RoiDanielsen wrote:

Palle knows me IRL, and he probably also knows that I like to take the lead in groups also xD

True dat!
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

RoiDanielsen wrote:
Mythstrott, what if i lead and you will manage the websites? As Palle said, there is really no need for you to be the leader to do the website Razz

But what about it? Razz

Roi, I award you 5 points for making this thread for other people to step up and for supporting a vote. I deduct 3 points for then asking me to not "run". 9 more points are awarded to you becausee they are non-redeemable and I have an unlimited supply of them.

So, why do you not want to have a vote on this anymore? I'm not trying to be a big "boss" here, just checking you. My idea is that we don't have a real "leader" in the regular sense. We all discuss and vote as a group. What I have in mind is more of a "Project Organizer" position. And I don't think you can argue that it wouldn't be easiest to do so by making the website.

So let's just get this over with quickly. Discuss it with the rest of the group, let other members "run" if they want, and hold a vote.
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Yes a group organiser is also what i had in mind. Not the big boss idea either Razz

Actually, more like a community manager or something xD

I'm still waiting for the other peoples opinion, but it seems like they havent seen the thread :s
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:10 pm

RoiDanielsen wrote:
Yes a group organiser is also what i had in mind. Not the big boss idea either Razz

I'm still waiting for the other peoples opinion, but it seems like they havent seen the thread :s

Good Smile Lol

There are usually a few people on Skype if you want to talk to members about it. I have already, but not too great extent. We just agreed that we need an Organizer rather than a Leader.
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

mythstrott wrote:
RoiDanielsen wrote:

Good Smile Lol

There are usually a few people on Skype if you want to talk to members about it. I have already, but not too great extent. We just agreed that we need an Organizer rather than a Leader.

Yes. We need to have a administrative board of "leaders".

I'm just offering my services as the guys who collects info from all the boards and publishes it in a well written post each week etc.

Like we have a Modelling Board, Programming Board, Sound Board etc Smile

And we each monday or so, I can collect all the info from each boards leader and sum it up to see our progress Razz
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

RoiDanielsen wrote:
mythstrott wrote:
RoiDanielsen wrote:

Good Smile Lol

Yes. We need to have a administrative board of "leaders".

I'm just offering my services as the guys who collects info from all the boards and publishes it in a well written post each week etc.

Like we have a Modelling Board, Programming Board, Sound Board etc Smile

And we each monday or so, I can collect all the info from each boards leader and sum it up to see our progress Razz

Oh I don't think we really need "boards" of leaders. I'm more in favor of just letting everybody share the files, and if they want to report progress, let them do it in their own post/video. Promote skype meetings between everybody, not progress reports by leaders.
Back to top Go down
palledk

palledk

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Having no "leaders" or "boards" makes it much harder to get an overview of the overall progress.

Last edited by palledk on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 pm

I dont like your idea. Sure it provides freedom for the individuals, but we need to have some kind of a hierarchic administration. What you are suggesting will only do good if we are few, while an administrative board of leaders from each group provides a better, faster and more informative workflow. Not to mention the whole production pipeline, like Idea -> Creation -> Testing -> Revision -> Testing -> Tweaking -> Testing -> Implementation.

Mind you that each and every bit of modeling/Coding/audio/animation and stuff will be going through that pipeline.

Last edited by RoiDanielsen on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Mmm, well I'm sticking with my thoughts on this one. Ask everyone else what they think.
Back to top Go down
imcanida

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 pm

I think having some structure is a good idea. More so since were really not the smallest bunch. We probably have enough in each field to have a lead. That a person can turn to for advice or even for the Project manager to hand over assignments to and the lead could handle them based on knowledge of everyone's skills.
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 pm

mythstrott wrote:
Mmm, well I'm sticking with my thoughts on this one. Ask everyone else what they think.

As I said, I'm still waiting for their answers Razz Seems like they've missed this Thread xD
Back to top Go down
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm

imcanida wrote:
I think having some structure is a good idea. More so since were really not the smallest bunch. We probably have enough in each field to have a lead. That a person can turn to for advice or even for the Project manager to hand over assignments to and the lead could handle them based on knowledge of everyone's skills.

Exactly. Having a transparent administrative board would help so much, especially now that we are a handfull of each. Also, it allows for further expansion with more newbies to join.
Back to top Go down
blent3342

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

hey.. well if anyone wants my opinion here it is!...
i say we have a project manager for each of our groups... and have like a overview of whos most skilled to least skilled.. and the project managers should have a meeting at least 3 times a week and give them a overview of what they've done and were they are in each project they are working on..
Back to top Go down
mythstrott

mythstrott

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Well if everyone here wants to have representatives and leaders, I guess that's the way it will be. I just thought everyone should have the chance to consider a more democratic way of working together.

I'll follow the majority.
Back to top Go down
DEV_Lettuce_
Admin
DEV_Lettuce_

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 am

I can lead story, concept art, and i am a noob terrain editor
Back to top Go down
https://unityproject.forumotion.com
RoiDanielsen
Admin
RoiDanielsen

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 am

I think we should let the individual groups decide on a leader. Razz I dont think the modellers are qualified to point out a programming leader xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leadership! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leadership!   Leadership! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leadership!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Unity Project :: Ideas-
Jump to: